Pursuant to Regulation 9 (2) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, a senior fisheries management advisor, Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988), hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 13) 2003.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "Tangata Kaitiaki" is a local dialect word that has the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki", a term that is defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(b) "Tangata Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for customary food gathering within the area/rohe moana and confirmed in clause 3 of this notice.
(c) "the area/rohe moana" means the area described by a line from the Ouepoto Stream (40 08.9ó S and 176 50.7ó E) south east to the North Madden Bank (40 22.0ó S and 177 12.0ó E), then south west to the South Madden Bank (40 38.0ó S and 177 01.0ó E), then west to the mouth of the Akito River (40 36.4ó S and 176 25.1ó E) and then generally north east following the coastline to the point of commencement (derived from WGS84 datum).
3. Appointment of Kaitiaki-The Associate Minister of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority) hereby confirms the appointment of:
John Nepe Apatu
Raylene Pikihuia Hutcheson
Ross Young Scott
Tipene Matua Tutaki
for managing customary food gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Ngati Kere, as represented by the Ngati Kere Rohe Trustee, is confirmed
as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
5. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for mahi kai moana-The Tangata Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, other than those fisheries resources that are taken in fresh water, for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without authorisation from a Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Dunedin this 29th day of May 2003.
R. GRINDLEY, Senior Fisheries Management Advisor, Ministry of Fisheries.