Pursuant to Regulation 10 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999, and acting under delegated authority, the Associate Minister of Fisheries hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 34) 2002.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) The term "customary food gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999.
(b) Any reference to "Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 or 10 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999 as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for the area/rohe moana.
(c) Any reference to "area/rohe moana" means the area specified in clause 2 (c) of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 5) 1998 (No. F102).
3. Nomination of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-Te Runanga o Makaawhio, being the tangata whenua holding manawhenua manamoana over the area/rohe moana, have nominated Vicki Lee Cain as a Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-Subsequent to the cancellation of Virginia Bannister as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki in the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 32) 2002 (No. F219), the Associate Minister of Fisheries hereby appoints Vicki Lee Cain as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for managing customary food gathering for the area/rohe moana. The appointment is for a term of five years commencing the day this notice comes into effect.
5. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Acts 1983 and 1996 for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without authorisation from the Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 5th day of November 2002.
PAREKURA HOROMIA, Associate Minister of Fisheries.