Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999, and acting under delegated authority, the Associate Minister of Fisheries hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 37) 2002.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) The term "customary food gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999.
(b) Any reference to "Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999 as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for a general customary food gathering area/rohe moana and confirmed in clause 4 of this notice.
(c) The term "South Island fisheries waters" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999.
(d) Any reference to "area/rohe moana" means the area from the northern bank of the Hakatere River, following the coast to Ounu Hau Point at Pohatu, excluding Te Waihora (Lake Ellesmere as defined as Quota Management Area ANG 13 in the Fisheries Act 1996) and its catchment, and excluding Lake Forsyth, then due east to the limit of the South Island fisheries waters, then following the boundary of the South Island fisheries waters to a point due east of the Hakatere River, and finally back to the northern bank of the Hakatere River.
3. Nomination of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-Wairewa Runanga, being the representative of tangata whenua holding manawhenua manamoana over the area/rohe moana, have nominated Steve Tuuta, Rei Simon, Tony Edwards, Theo Bunker, Wayne Robinson and Robin Wybrow as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-The Associate Minister of Fisheries, acting under delegated authority from the Minister of Fisheries, hereby confirms the appointment of Steve Tuuta, Rei Simon, Tony Edwards, Theo Bunker, Wayne Robinson and Robin Wybrow as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for managing customary food gathering for the area/rohe moana. The appointment is for
a term of five years commencing the day this notice comes into effect.
5. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Acts 1983 and 1996 for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without authorisation of a Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 5th day of November 2002.
PAREKURA HOROMIA, Associate Minister of Fisheries.