Pursuant to section 61 (3) of the Transit New Zealand Act 1989 and section 72 (1) (j) of the Transport Act 1962, Transit New Zealand hereby makes the following bylaw.
B y l a w
1. Title and commencement-This bylaw may be cited as the Transit New Zealand (Ngauranga Gorge Variable Speed Limit) Bylaw 2002/2 and shall come into force 28 days after the date of its publication in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation?In this bylaw:
(a) "Variable speed limit" means the speed limit imposed from time to time by Transit New Zealand in accordance with this bylaw.
(b) "Variable speed limit sign" means a sign which meets the criteria set out in or under the Traffic Regulations 1976.
(c) "Vehicle" has the same meaning as in the Land Transport Act 1998.
3. Discretion to impose variable speed limit-(1) Transit New Zealand may, from time to time, impose a variable speed limit for the section of State highway described in
the Schedule to this bylaw if, in the opinion of Transit
New Zealand, it is expedient to do so having regard to:
(a) actual or likely traffic congestion or weather conditions; or
(b) other actual or likely traffic hazards.
(2) A variable speed limit may apply to vehicles travelling in one or both directions and different variable speed limits may apply in respect of different directions.
4. Variable speed limit-(1) The variable speed limit imposed under clause 3:
(a) must be a speed limit of 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 or l00 kilometres per hour;
(b) must be indicated on one or more activated variable speed limit signs; and
(c) applies whenever the variable speed limit signs are activated.
(2) For the purposes of this bylaw, a variable speed limit sign is activated whenever the numerals indicated on the sign are illuminated.
(3) Where no variable speed limit sign is activated for vehicles travelling in a particular direction on the section of State highway described in the Schedule, the speed limit is l00 kilometres per hour.
5. Limiting speed of vehicles on Ngauranga Gorge-
No person shall drive or permit to be driven any vehicle at
a speed exceeding the speed limit indicated on the last activated variable speed limit sign passed by that vehicle in the direction of travel of that vehicle on the section of State highway described in the Schedule to this bylaw.
Southbound-the section of State Highway No. 1 that is the Ngauranga Gorge at Wellington commencing at Helston Road Bridge (Route Position 979/4.58) extending in a generally southerly direction to a point (Route Position 979/8.16) 270 metres south of the northern abutment of the Ngauranga Southbound Overbridge structure including the ramps and connections to and from the State highway; a distance of 3.6 kilometres.
Northbound-the section of State Highway No. 1 that is the Ngauranga Gorge at Wellington commencing at the North Island Main Trunk Railway Bridge (Route Position 979/7.33) extending in a generally northerly direction to a point (Route Position 979/4.51) 70 metres north of Helston Road Bridge, including the ramps and connections to and from the State highway; a distance of 2.8 kilometres.
This bylaw was made by resolution passed by the Transit New Zealand Authority at a meeting held in Wellington on 3 April 2002.
Dated at Wellington this 10th day of April 2002.
Signed on behalf of Transit New Zealand by:
J. H. VAN BARNEVELD, National Highway Manager.