Pursuant to Regulation 9 (2) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Manager Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988), hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 7) 2001.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) The term "Te Mahi Kaimoana" has the same meaning as "customary food gathering" as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(b) Any reference to "Tangata Kaitiaki" has the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki" as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 and means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 for general Te Mahi Kaimoana within the area/rohe moana and confirmed in clause 3 of this notice.
(c) The term "Kaimoana" has the same meaning as "Fisheries resources" as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(d) Any reference to "area/rohe moana" means all that area of waters in the Bay of Plenty enclosed by a line commencing at the mean high-water mark at a point 37° 58.1' S and 177° 25.6' E on the shore and then proceeding along a straight line in a northerly direction to a point 37° 55.3' S and 177° 25.6' E and then proceeding in a north-easterly direction to a point 37° 53.6' S and 177° 30.9' E and then in a straight line in a southerly direction to a point 37° 55.6' S and 177° 30.9' E and then along the mean high-water mark to the first mentioned point (derived from WGA 84 datum).
3. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki-The Associate Minister of Fisheries (acting pursuant to delegated authority) hereby confirms the appointment of the following Tangata Kaitiaki:
? Paddy Hamilton Eruera; and
? Matekoraha Eruera
for managing Te Mahi Kaimoana within the area/rohe moana.
4. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Te Whanau A Maruhaeremuri is confirmed as tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
5. Power to authorise taking of Kaimoana for Te Mahi Kaimoana-The Tangata Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take kaimoana managed under the Fisheries Acts 1983 and 1996, other than those kaimoana that are taken in fresh water, for Te Mahi Kaimoana purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No Te Mahi Kaimoana of kaimoana may take place in the area/rohe moana without authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Auckland this18th day of September 2001.
ARTHUR HORE, Manager Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to delegated authority).