Pursuant to Regulation 9 (2) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Manager Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988), hereby gives following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice
(No. 6) 2001.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) The term "customary food gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(b) Any reference to "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for general customary food gathering within the area/rohe moana and confirmed in clause 3 of this notice.
(c) Any reference to "area/rohe moana" means the area beginning on the coastline at Huarau (39° 53.1' S and 176° 58.1' E), then proceeding generally
south-west following the coastline to the mouth of the Ouepoto Stream (40° 08.9' S and 176° 50.7' E), then proceeding generally south-east for 200 nautical miles to a point (41° 25.0' S and 178° 32.0' W), then proceeding generally north-east to a point (41° 09.0' S and 178° 22.0' W), then proceeding generally north-west for 200 nautical miles to the point of commencement (derived from WGS84 datum).
3. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki-The Associate Minister of Fisheries (acting pursuant to delegated authority) hereby confirms the appointment of the following Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki:
? Jill Munro
? Mike August
? Broughton Tomlins
? Libya Walker
? Libya Walker Jnr
for managing customary food gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Confirmation of tangata whenua-The Kairakau Lands Trust is confirmed as tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki relates.
5. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Acts 1983 and 1996, other than those fisheries resources that are taken in fresh water, for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
Dated at Nelson this 30th day of August 2001.
KIM DRUMMOND, Acting Manager Fisheries, Ministry of