Pursuant to section 124 (1) (d) of the Social Security Act 1964, the Minister of Social Services and Employment establishes and approves the following Amendment to the New Employment Transition Grant Programme (as established and approved on 9 December 1998).
Dated at Wellington this 27th day of June 2001.
STEVE MAHAREY, Minister of Social Services and Employment.
A m e n d m e n t
1. Title-(1) This Amendment is the New Employment Transition Grant Amendment 2001.
(2) In this Amendment, the New Employment Transition Grant Programme is called "the programme".
2. Commencement-This Amendment comes into effect on 1 July 2001.
3. Interpretation-(1) The definition in clause 2.1 of the programme of Eligible Parent is amended:
(a) by omitting the words "a sole parent" where they first appear, and substituting the words "a person (person A) with a dependent child or children":
(b) by revoking paragraph (a), and substituting the following paragraph:
"(a) who was either-
(i) a person granted and receiving an income-tested benefit under the Act; or
(ii) the spouse of a person referred to in subparagraph (i) where the benefit was paid at a married rate (not being the rate in clause 5 of the Ninth Schedule of the Act or 50% of a married rate of benefit payable under sections 117 and 120 of the Act by virtue of person A's failure to comply with the work test or section 60HA of the Act); and"
(c) by revoking paragraph (b) and substituting the following paragraph:
"(b) who ceased to be a beneficiary within the last
6 months because the benefit was cancelled or suspended due to the employment or temporary employment of person A or his or her spouse; and"
(d) by omitting the words "a sole parent whose" and substituting the words "a person whose".
(2) Clause 2.1 of the programme is amended by revoking the definition of Sole Parent Rate.
4. Eligibility for Transition Grant-(1) The heading to clause 4 of the programme is amended by omitting the word "TRANSITIONAL", and substituting the word "TRANSITION".
(2) Clause 4 of the programme is amended by inserting, after clause 4.1, the following clause:
"4.1A No Transition Grant may be made to enable an Eligible Parent to provide care to a dependent child if the Eligible Parent's spouse is available to care for the child."
(3) Clause 4.2 of the programme is amended by omitting the words "Eligible Parent's".
5. Payment-(1) Clause 5.2 of the programme is amended by omitting the words "a sole parent" and substituting the words "an Eligible Parent".
(2) Clause 5 of the programme is amended by adding the following clauses:
"5.3 Where a married person and his or her spouse are both Eligible Parents, clauses 5.1 and 5.2 apply to each of them.
5.4 Clause 5.3 is for the avoidance of doubt."
This note is not part of the Amendment, but is intended to indicate its general effect.
This Amendment extends with effect 1 July 2001 the availability of grants under the programme to all beneficiaries with a dependent child or children.
Both spouses are eligible for grants where the benefit was paid at a married rate. However, where a reduced rate of benefit was payable because a spouse was a striking worker, or failed to comply with the work test or the obligations of section 60HA of the Social Security Act 1964, only the person who was granted the benefit is eligible.