Pursuant to regulation 9 (2) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Policy Manager, Auckland, Ministry of Fisheries, acting pursuant to delegated authority from the Minister of Fisheries, hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice
(No. 2) 2000.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) The term "Customary food gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998;
(b) Any reference to "Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for a general customary food gathering area/rohe moana and confirmed in clause
4 of this notice;
(c) Any reference to "area/rohe moana" means the area described by a line beginning on the coastline at Waipuna Stream (37°56.1'S 177°31.4'E) and travelling north to an ocean point (37°54.8'S 177°31.4'E) then west south west to an ocean point (34°54.6'S 177°25.9'E), then south to the beach at
Te Toka a Rutaia Tarakeha (37°58.4'S 177°25.9'E) and then east north east following the coastline to the point of commencement.
3. Nomination of Kaitiaki-Ngai Tai Iwi, being the tangata whenua holding manawhenua manamoana over the area/rohe moana, have nominated Arapeta Geoffrey Mio, Tawhiao Kingi, Reuben Houia, Selwyn Lawson, Clifford Delamere, Russell Grant Mio, James William Maxwell, and Memory Mio as Kaitiaki for the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Kaitiaki-The Manager Operational Policy, Ministry of Fisheries, hereby confirms the appointment of Arapeta Geoffrey Mio, Tawhiao Kingi, Reuben Houia, Selwyn Lawson, Clifford Delamere, Russell Grant Mio, James William Maxwell, and Memory Mio as Kaitiaki for managing customary food gathering for the area/rohe moana by the Minister of Fisheries. The appointment will commence the day after this notice is published.
5. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Acts 1983 and 1996, other than those fisheries resources that are taken in fresh water, for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without authorisation from the Kaitiaki.
Dated at Auckland on this 21st day of February 2000.
JOHN TAUNTON-CLARK, Acting Policy Manager, Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to delegated authority).