Pursuant to section 170 of the Education Act 1989 (“Act”), the Minister of Education hereby gives the following notice:
This notice may be cited as the Constitution of Te Mana Whakahaere (Council) of Te Wānanga o Raukawa Notice 2019.
The 2008 Deed of Settlement between Te Wānanga o Raukawa and the Crown acknowledged and recorded their mutual commitment to have processes that are mana enhancing and contribute to the reconciliation of tino rangatiratanga and kāwanatanga in terms of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Te Mana Whakahaere of Te Wānanga o Raukawa shall be composed of a total of nine (9) members, consisting of:
- six (6) members appointed by Te Mana Whakahaere in accordance with its Statutes established under section 171C of the Act; and
- three (3) members appointed by the responsible Minister under section 171 of the Education Act, in consultation with Te Mana Whakahaere.
- Subject to, and in accordance with clause 1 of this Constitution, sections 171D and 173 of the Education Act 1989, each person may be appointed as a member of Te Mana Whakahaere for no more than five (5) terms, and each term up to four (4) years each. Where a person was reappointed as a council member on 30 June 2016, that person may serve one further term of four years.
- This constitution shall be established when notice is published in the New Zealand Gazette by the Minister. The constitution will come into effect on 18 December 2019.
This notice will replace the previous constitution established in 1993 (New Zealand Gazette, 13 January 1994, No. 1, page 52) and on 19 May 2016 (New Zealand Gazette, 19 May 2016, Issue No. 44, Notice No. 2016-au2702).
Dated at Wellington this 17th day of December 2019.
Hon CHRIS HIPKINS, Minister of Education.