Pursuant to section 16(3) of the Fisheries Act 1996 (“Act”), the Minister for Primary Industries, after having regard to the matters specified in sections 16(1)(c), 16(2) and 16(3) of the Act, gives the following notice.
1. Title—This notice is the Fisheries (Conway River to Marfells Beach Emergency Harvest Closure Renewal) Notice 2017.
2. Interpretation—In this notice:
shellfish means all species of the phylum Echinodermata and phylum Mollusca and all species of the class Crustacea at any stage of their life history, whether living or dead, but does not include scampi (Metanephrops challengeri) or rock lobster (Jasus edwardsii).
seaweed means all kinds of algae and sea-grasses that grow in New Zealand fisheries waters at any stage of their life history, whether living or dead.
Conway River to Marfells Beach Area means waters within the area:
- commencing at a point on Marfells Beach at 41°43.655′S and 174°12.645′E proceeding;
- for approximately four nautical miles in a north-north-easterly direction to a seaward point (at 41°39.474′S and 174°14.876′E);
- then maintaining a constant four nautical miles distance from the coastline at all points until reaching a seaward point at 42°38.153′S and 173°33.378′E (taking mostly a south westerly direction along the coast);
- then proceeding in a west-north-westerly direction to a point on land at the Conway River (42°36.909′S and 173°28.173′E); and
- then following the mean high water line back to the point of commencement.
3. Commencement and expiry—This notice comes into force on 20 February 2017 at 5.00pm and expires on 20 November 2017 at 5.00pm.
4. Conway River to Marfells Beach Area closed for the taking of shellfish (excluding scampi and rock lobster)—A person must not take shellfish or seaweed from the Conway River to Marfells Beach Area, or possess shellfish or seaweed taken from the Conway River to Marfells Beach Area, while this notice is in force.
5. Penalty—Every person commits an offence and is liable to a fine not exceeding $100,000.00 (as set out in section 252(5) of the Act) who contravenes any emergency measure imposed under section 16 of the Act.
Dated at Wellington this 20th day of February 2017.
Hon NATHAN GUY, Minister for Primary Industries.
Note: This notice renews the notice published in the New Zealand Gazette, 21 November 2016, Issue No. 105, Notice No. 2016-go6651.