Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, a senior fisheries management advisor of the Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1998) hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 17) 2004.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "customary food gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(b) "Tangata Kaitiaki" are local dialect words that have the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki", a term that is defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(c) Any reference to "Tangata Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation
9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 for the management of customary food gathering within the area/rohe moana.
(d) Any reference to "area/rohe moana" means the area described by a line commencing at a point on the coastline at Wairakei (37 42.9'S 176 20.2'E), then generally north-westerly following the coastline and Tauranga Harbour to a point on the coastline at Uretara (37 29.8'S 175 57.6'E), then north-easterly by a line to a point on the coastline at Kura-a-Maia (37 27.9'S 175 59.2'E), then generally north-easterly for 24 nautical miles to a point
(37 10.3'S 176 19.7'E), then south-easterly to
a point (37 25.3'S 176 40.7'E) then generally south-westerly for 24 nautical miles to the point
3. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki-The Associate Minister of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority) hereby confirms the appointment of Riko Ahomiro, Colin Bidois, Alf Borrell, Peter Borrell, Wiripo Brown, Hori Deans, Brian Dickson, Irahapeti Betty Dickson, Jock Hohepa Ellis, Pet Gardiner, Rangi Gear, Marshall Grey, Judy Harpur, Kevin Haua, Neil Hirama, Rahiri Johnathan, Pio Kawe, Rawiri Kuka, Taeawa Kuka, Te Maki Ladbrook, Michael Manihera, Whiti McLeod, Eddie Ngatai, Patrick Nicholas, Peter Nicholas, John Nuku, Waraki Paki, Brian Palmer, Wally Papa, Anthony Paraire, Tu Piahana, Murray Pio, Jake Poka, Te Hiringa Rawson, Aroha Ririnui, Henry Ririnui, Peter Ririnui, Arthur Rolleston, Eddie Rudolph, Jerry Samuels, Tom Rehua Smallman, Janice Smith, Putahi Stockman, Stephanie Taiapa, Brendon Taingahue, Richard Taingahue, Sarah Tangitu, Ron Tata, William Te Arihi, Rewa Toma, Marshall Tuhakaraina, Martin Tuhakaraina, Hinerongo Walker, Paeahi Wanakore and Magda Williams as Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Ngaiterangi, Ngati Ranginui and Ngati Pukenga, as represented by the Tauranga Moana Iwi Customary Fisheries Working Committee, are confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
5. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, other than those resources that are taken in fresh water, for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Nelson this 22nd day of October 2004.
R. GRINDLEY, Senior Fisheries Management Advisor, Ministry of Fisheries.